The radically updated Roger B. Chaffee Planetarium is now open.
Visit the galaxy from the most comfortable seat in the house. With 1.2 million dollars in renovations, all of the brand new shows will feature the latest Digistar projection technology and immersive surround sound for an unbelievably rich and realistic experience. Recline, relax and experience the incredible forces of our universe.
Opening Programs (click links for Teacher's Guides!):
- Dynamic Earth - Explore Earth's climate engine from monster hurricanes to erupting volcanoes. Narrated by Liam Neeson. Age Group: 5 - 12th grade
- The Little Star that Could - Learn about our solar system through Little Star as he searches for planets of his own to protect and warm. Age Group: K - 2nd grade
- Violent Universe - Witness the forces that hold the universe together and occasionally try to rip it apart. Narrated by Patrick Stewart. Age Group: 3rd - 12th grade
- Secrets of the Sun - An intimate look at the role the sun plays in the life of our solar system. From the nuclear forces churning at the heart of the sun to the mass ejections of solar material in to surrounding space, we will experience the power of the sun and its impact on the planets and ultimately life on Earth.
- Two Small Pieces of Glass - Galileo’s telescopic observations began a revolution, transforming our views of the cosmos and our place within. Discover the wonders that even a small amateur telescope can reveal and learn about the scientists that made such views possible.
- Current Night Sky Show - Find constellations and planets in the current night sky with the help of a live planetarium presenter. Students are encouraged to ask questions and interact during the show. Great for all age levels.
Planetarium shows are $4/student with a museum visit; Planetarium show only is $5/student. Reservations are currently being taken for programs. Please fill out this form or call 616.929.1754